Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Water, water everywhere..... PUB's success.

While we are on the subject of water, I just want to share my thoughts on Singapore's water management.

I think of all our agencies here in Singapore, PUB clearly takes the prize. Once merely a utilities manager, PUB has become a world class standard bearer for water management.

I have travelled round the world and I can confidently state that I know of no other place in the world where I can happily drink straight from the tap. Not just safe drinkable water, but actually clean pleasant tasting water. And all this considering we have little ready natural water resource.

In just a few decades, PUB has not only made us water sufficient, and has put Singapore on the map as a global leader in water management.

PUB, you've done us real proud.

Which makes it all the more ironic that we have so many bizarre practices that seem to deny the reality of our access to clean drinking water from taps. Why do people buy bottled water, and pollute the environment with more plastic bottles? Why do restaurants not serve tap water, or make it seem so expensive to turn on the tap for a glass of tap water?

It's time we changed our mindset.

No comments: