Monday, February 2, 2009

Dengue and Chikungunya in Singapore - endemicity and ecdemicity #2

Chikungunya virus particles
An interesting thing happened to me on the way to the toilet. Someone I knew, and who knew of my posts on this matter whispered to me (hushed tone with a wicked grin) an interesting exchange between the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) / National Environmental Agency (NEA) about the chikungunya problem.

Apparently the MOH is somewhat sensitive about acknowledging that chikungunya has become endemic in Singapore ( a bit of misplaced pride here), while the NEA is somewhat keen to declare it endemic. Apparently if it is endemic, NEA's vector control people no need to work so hard to stem the spread of the disease (which is inevitably happening anyway...).

I don't know how much of this is true, but since I have no reason to doubt my source, there may be some truth lurking in there somewhere. Kinda amusing thinking of these serious policy makers approaching this issue with that kind of childish parochial mindset.

Kinda misplaced priorities if you ask me...

No comments: