Sunday, August 9, 2009

Majulah Singapura

As a post-war baby boomer, who's been here when we were a brit colony to being in Malaysia and then out, I think that painful moment of separation in 1965 turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to us. Some may scoff, but I think it liberated us to be truly able to reach for heights we otherwise might never have scaled. My family and I have definitely been beneficiaries of the 'peace, progress and prosperity' that our little island has made over almost half a century.

I look back now at 44 years, and see that we actually haven't done too badly. And I find enormous confidence that my children and their children can continue to hope for things much better. We have nothing to be ashamed about, nothing to apologize for, and certainly a whole lot to be proud of.

This year I will not be at the NDP, as I have been every National Day, but watching the fireworks from a distance nonetheless with that pounding in my heart and that knot in my throat.

Go for it Singapore!

No comments: